Friday, May 22, 2009

What's the Point?

I confess as a stay-at-home mother of two, I tend to get somewhat of an Ecclesiastes 1 attitude:

"Meaningless! Meaningless!...Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless!"

Inspiring isn't it? Can anyone sympathize?

I mop the floor only to have milk spilled all over it, play dough stuck to it and dirty feet trample on it. I change a wet diaper only to make room for a poopy one. (Speaking of poop, I managed to find a pile of it in the hallway one day...and on the walls... and all over my daughter who was happily singing and washing her hands in the bathroom. Ugh!) I wash a sink load of dirty dishes and BAM! it's full again. I rejoice over an empty clothes hamper in the morning and by evening it's overflowing again. Even writing about all this seems a little meaningless, but it's not.

One of my favorite quotes is by G.K. Chesterton who wrote of a God who "is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them."

Not only stay-at-home moms suffer from the mundane. The search for significance plagues every soul. This is why the above excerpt serves as a constant encouragement to me. I envision the Lord softly speaking to me every morning, "Terra, do it again"; and if he says this to me I know it is for a purpose, if only to teach me perseverance. Perseverance is the main ingredient of godly character. How essential!

I believe Ecclesiastes 1 was meant to be treated as a car wash; you just pull in there from time to time to wash off all the worldly attachments and then drive out clean, with a new outlook. To park your car there would be, well...meaningless.

You see, I am blogging now because it will help me find meaning in the mundane. I don't expect to inspire many, mainly me. Keeping a journal of my thoughts is therapeutic and it gives the ramblings of my soul an outlet. So enjoy...or not, it makes no difference. :)

1 comment:

  1. I can totally feel you!! I have to say I miss you so desperately Terra!! We're in the same boat and I need some encouragement as much as you do at times.

    ReplyDelete